Stars

Stars

Friday, September 7, 2018

5 Reasons Why It's Absolutely Ridiculous To Play Travel Sports

As a individual who has committed over half of my life and more hours in the car than I could ever count to the game of softball, I feel it's important to let others know my experiences and why I feel this way. So here it is- 5 reasons why it's absolutely crazy to play travel sports.
Enjoy :)


#1- You might bond too much with your parent(s).
THE HORROR! You might actually get to spend so much time with your parent that they might actually become your best friend. You will have countless hours together in a vehicle going to and from practices, games, and other events. You will try every fast food restaurant at least 7 times. You will talk about hopes, dreams, fear, etc. You will quickly realize how much you appreciate and value what your parent is doing for you. I know- awful, right?

#2- You will undoubtedly make friends that will last you a lifetime.
Ugh! Friends! Spending every weekend together playing the game you love next to the people you love is just crazy. I met some of my closest friends through my travel team, friends that I will have for the rest of my life. They saw me at my lowest lows and rejoiced with me through some of my highest highs. I trusted them on the field and still trust them off of the field. I am forever thankful for the game of softball bringing me such incredible people.

#3- You will learn respect and maturity
How lame! Respecting people and being mature?! Who wants to do that? Playing travel sports you will be around diverse groups of people, you will go to areas you aren't normally in, and you will learn to handle difficult situations in a graceful way. You will learn to respect your coaches and umpires (even if you don't agree with them). Travel sports really does shape you into the kind of person you will be for the rest of your life and I am so thankful for that. But again- lame, right?

#4- You might have a childhood that involves being outside a lot and staying active
From the summer I turned 9 years old to the summer after my senior year of high school, I was found on a softball field 99% of the time. My birthday is in June, so majority of my birthdays were spent on the field and I absolutely loved it. I stayed in shape, I was always tan, I spent my summers outside, and we always stayed in hotels that had a pool! I was confident in my skills and I loved being on the field, hoping that every ground ball would come to me (I always loved fielding more than hitting). I loved my childhood summers and birthday celebrations with my teammates. But like- I guess staying inside all summer doing nothing is cool too.

#5- You might actually end up getting a college scholarship!
WHO LIKES SCHOLARSHIPS THOUGH?! I played softball for 11 years of my life. I played college softball for 2 years of my college. Even just playing 2 years, I got more in softball money than my parents ever paid for me to play. Also, even if I didn't play in college- the memories you make and the time you get to spend with your parents are absolutely priceless. I am 100% confident that without playing travel ball, I would have never got the exposure/skills required to play at the collegiate level and I'd be in a great deal of college debt right now.

So there you have it, folks! Don't play travel sports. If you do, you might love your parents too much, make too many friends, become too mature, spend too much time outside, and might end up getting a chance to play in college. If those things do not sound appealing to you, please don't pursue travel sports.

All jokes aside, I am so thankful my parents pushed me to tryout for a team 2 hours away from home when I was 9 years old. I have gained so much love and friends. I love the person I am today and I believe a big part of who I am is because I got the amazing opportunity to play travel ball. It truly was a huge huge blessing in my life.

It makes me sad to see so many people with rude comment towards those who play travel ball because a- how does it affect them in any way? and b- why would you ever want to talk down on parents giving their children a chance to better themselves/make friends/ believe they are talented and good at something in their life. It's a great opportunity and if parents have the ability to provide this opportunity and the child wants the opportunity then why the heck should they not get to have the opportunity?

Friendly reminder to love each other, love yourself, and follow your dreams whatever they might be. Also, if someone has a dream or a passion, please don't laugh at or look down on it just because you don't agree. It's okay to disagree, it's not okay to make fun of other people decisions and passions.

<3

*I'd also like to add that it's 100% okay to play travel sports with no intent to play your sport in college. That doesn't make your passion any less valid. But if you do want to pursue that goal, I'm here to tell you I would have never gotten there without travel ball.*

No comments:

Post a Comment